Yahoo! Alerts
My Alerts

The latest from Полнотекстовые фиды для блогофермеров


snakey snakes Top
First off, since I last wrote, we have decided to stay in Missoula and to buy a house here while we are at it. This has been an amazing decision for us. It is so nice to be solidly working toward the same goal, finally having our entire energy transformed into tangible results! Having that experience with the dh makes saying yes to this decision so worth it for me. I would have thought I'd have a lot to write when this decision was made. It's not that I didn't do a lot of processing, because I did. Boy howdy! Once I knew I was ok with the choice, I announced it to my circle of friends and support people. I got feedback, most of it consistently, "are you sure?, "is this a bandage?". It was really good for me to use that as an opportunity to reexamine my choice, check-in to see if I was fooling myself. I can say with a clear heart that wasn't the case. I am grateful for the conversation and the willingness of those people to share their thoughts. I felt very loved and cared about. (I have since realized I've a bit of resistance to the person initiating the conversation though. I'll have to follow up with her at some point.) So what's with the snakes? On the day we began discussing the idea of staying and building a real life here, we had two snakes cross our path, each at a different location. Snakes are not that common around here so it caught our attention. When we got home I looked up Snake in my Medicine Cards book. The reading is all about transmutation. The dictionary says it's the act of changing. Wow, we had decided on a major change. We took this sighting as good sign and proceeded on. The process has gone relatively fast which I also take as a positive sign. We started the conversation on July 25th and will be closing on our new home September 3. I'm still a bit anxious about the mortgage payment, exact amount yet to be determined. And then there is the sewer to be installed in our new neighborhood in about one year that will also need to be paid for. The last bit has me especially nervous today. I spent the morning with my stomach in knots. Eventually, it subsided but never entirely left my mind. When I took the pup out for a swim this afternoon, lo and behold, I encountered another snake in the same spot as our second sighting weeks ago. As I threw the ball for her, I kept an eye on the snake. It was thinner around than my pinky and somewhere between 9 and 12 inches long. Nothing scary. It just hung around in the rocks along the shore, gracefully navigating it's path at the edge of the river. while I stumbled and nearly lost my balance traversing the same river rock bank . When I got home I picked up the Medicine Card book to reread the Snake passage. I skimmed the main reading and then read the contrary section which I don't think I read before. It was about shedding a skin in order to embrace a change, regardless of the temporary discomfort this may cause. I get it. Not only is this move from West Riverside to the Rattlesnake neighborhood a change in living space but it's a change in ' living ' space. Now is a good time to explore other ways of being in my marriage. Just because things have been one way for the last 8 years, it doesn't mean it can't be a bit different now. (How dense can I be? Forest for the trees anyone? It took me writing 'Rattlesnake' just above for me to see the connection between Snake and our new neighborhood. Interesting.) Time will tell how this all turns out. For now I am glad to feel scared about something other than the state of my relationship. I am not walking this edge alone. I believe we are moving forward together, toward creating a more rewarding and fulfilling life of our own making. Exciting days ahead. Source
 
ah wells! Top
Hahaha, today was the day of reckoning. :) Hahaha, well, they said that Faculty of Engineering doesn't allow double degrees, so my only option was to transfer! And I won't be able to take a major in East Asian too, only a minor. Well~~ Not the ending that I would have truly hoped for, but ok, it's better than nothing I suppose, and the people were quite nice about it, so hey, I'm not complaining (too much). :P Hahaha, AND!! Today bumped into 2 Singaporeans when queuing up in the bank ahahah! So funny, after they talked to each other like one sentence, I totally whipped back head to look at them. LOLS!!! Then after listening a few more, can't stand it liao, and talked to them. Hahaha, ya know, at first I thought that they were same age as me, but turned out that one guy was at McGill for exchange, and the other is there for his MASTERS like omg?!?!? hahaha, he TOTALLY doesn't look 5/6 years older than moi. ^^" Hahahaha!!! But heehee, good to hear some Singlish after a while me supposes! :D OH OH OH AND NO LAUGHING MATTER!! ANYONE KNOWS HOW I CAN CONTACT MO DI?!?!?!?! SHE SHOULD'VE REACHED OR SMTH BUT NO NEWS FROM HERE, BOTH ME AND MUM ARE WORRIED!!!!! kk, that's that. Will end off with 2 songs. One of them, have been crazy about even before I left. The other, got hooked on after watching 13 going on 30 hahahah! :D Tried to find on imeem, but somehow don't have, so kk! Two niiiice songs, totally different feels, but both with the keyword "Breathe". LOLS!!!! Why Can't I - Liz Phair   Breathe - Taylor Swift . Source
 
Gender, Culture, And Genetics Top
Afrocity: "MILF Toast Served From The Patriarch's Den" The moderate-conservative Republican blogger opines about "cougars" like actress Vivica A. Fox (pictured left) and singer Madonna (pictured below) : "If you are a woman over 35 years of age you are a cougar whether you like it or not. The proliferation of single women in their late 30's and 40's have sparked a new smear campaign brought to you by the patriarchy. Cougar women are the latest installment of a revived misogynistic sensation since Obama was elected. Because after all every woman over 35 wants to get laid by a sexually immature 25 year old guy that will give us money for a cab ride home from his dorm room or mother's basement. I find the 'cougar' phenomenon particularly cruel because it targets two kinds of women. Those who have every right to pursue happiness by getting on with their lives after a losing a spouse to death or divorce, or women who have spent a great deal of their 20's cultivating a professional career. Using the cougar as a metaphor, to describe old women on the prowl, hunting for fresh (young) meat is not only offensive but it is also contradictory to modern day treatment of older men who 'hunt' younger women in search of a 'shopping spree' at H&M in exchange for her un-cellulited buttocks and dim bulb adoration. What comes out of this male constructed sexual vocabulary of cougar, MILF (mom[s] I would like to f__k), Demi-chicks - is an assault on women born in the 60's and 70's. It negates the female constructed positive images of women in their 40's such as Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, Halle Berry and others who stunningly prove that 40 is the new 30. Women please do not embrace this cougar meme. It is not empowering." She continues her commentary: "If you are dating in your 30's, 40's, 50's and beyond, establish yourself as women with standards, who share a common desire for QUALITY companionship now matter what the prospect's age. Your 30's and 40's often signal the height of your careers, personal freedom and confidence. Do not let men shape the way you feel about yourselves, especially young keg floating men who you can bet your Prada thong will never call themselves cougars once they turn [into] 35 year old summer intern skirt chasers. The patriarchy will do anything to keep the self-esteem of a woman down. Since the 1980's women have become more assertive and independent when juxtaposed by the obvious decline of the male hairline , bank account and ego, you can expect that MILF and Cougar are the verbal assault tools of an oppressive and envious comb over patriarc[h]y and possibly a generation of younger women who unfortunately take feminism ten steps back." South African Track Star: Male Or Female? Are we back to the 1980s, when gender tests were regularly done on Eastern European female athletes? It looks that way. The IAAF has asked the South African athletics federation to conduct a gender verification test on 800-metre runner Caster Semenya - who this evening won the women's 800-meter run at the world track & field championships in Germany by a sizeable margin, amid pre-race controversy about whether he/she should run - amid concerns he/she does not meet the requirements to compete as a woman . The world body for the sport requested the gender test about three weeks ago after Mr./Ms. Semenya burst onto the scene by improving upon personal bests in the 800 and 1,500 by huge margins. IAAF spokesman Nick Davies says the "extremely complex, difficult" test has been started, but the results were not expected for several weeks. Sandra Rose, a registered nurse and conservative blogger, writes : "I see an [A]dam's apple, but it's really hard to tell these days. She could just be a hermaphrodite on steroids." You can listen to Mr./Ms. Semenya speak here . Competitors in this evening's final state that they do not believe that Mr./Ms. Semenya is female . Here's a history of gender deception, gender mystery, and gender verification in track & field, going back to the 1930s. Authorities no longer just make the athlete drop trou, but look at chromosomal and hormonal patterns through a cheek swab. Source
 
Taking Back Sunday Top
Here's a reply to all message: "Jumping on the bank wagon and spamming too" - ginagamit ang kaliwang kamay sa pag-type ng "d" at ang kanan naman sa pag-type ng "k", so it must not be typo error. Read the e-mail again and checked Merriam-Webster at wala talagang bank wagon. ------------------ 14th August, 10pm, Sentral, Madison Square - ALCOHOL 15th August, 2am, Jjays, Julio Vargas - more DRINKING                         1pm, Carafe , Makati - still DRINKING                       11pm, Tabu, Legaspi Village - with bestfriend (Happy birthday!!) more ALCOHOL, now with my head a little bit muddled 16th August  2am, Malate - and more ALCOHOL and still DRINKING                        5am, Home - slept for six hours                        12am, Glorietta - lunch                        1pm, Starbucks 6750 - coffee and internet while people watching and waiting for the rain to subside                        5pm, Park's Place - tete-a-tete                        9pm, Shang Mall - GJ with ate  17th August, 2am - 3pm - ZOMBIFIED -declared it as my OFF and called my boss to call in. Status in facebook - "my head's so muddled like a bomb blew up in there." -------------------- So, it's a Thursday the 20th and i just had breakfast of pandesal and hot chocolate ... Tomorrow's a Friday - Holiday! Saturday is lunch with my darlings Karla and RD - something fancy e? Sunday is Punta Fuego: You think it's fun Mato? No... no... no... unless we scrap the strat plan and hire a yacht and go to Tali instead... Hmmm... sounds like an interesting weekend... Source
 
Davis Speaks On Health Care Top
Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.), was in Sylacauga, Ala. yesterday to address the Rotary Club during their weekly luncheon. His main focus in his visit was to campaign for his candidacy in the 2010 gubernatorial race, but the moderate Democrat also discussed the status of the government-run health care reform bill being considered in Congress . He opposes the U.S. House bill for three reasons. "Here's the way the bill works right now. It's a lot of money; there's over a trillion dollars. For that trillion dollars, guess how many people would still be uninsured by 2019 – 17 million", he said. "If we're going to throw a trillion dollars at something after we just spent a trillion dollars, or close to it, on the stimulus; after we spent close to a trillion dollars on the bank bailout, which I think we needed to do because the capital market was about to collapse, so we spent it; and after we just passed a budget which was one of the biggest discretionary budgets we've ever had, we can't keep throwing money at problems in Washington and know we're not going to get the results we're paying for." Secondly, he does not like the way the bill is structured. "Here's what the bill says to businesses. If your payroll is under $500,000, you do not have to provide insurance for your employees. Ladies and gentlemen, most businesses who are mid-sized or small will say, 'Well, I'll just keep my payroll under $500,000.'", said Rep. Davis. "What we need coming out of a recession is for small businesses to start hiring again and for them to expand their payroll and hire more people. Why on earth would we put an incentive in place for businesses not to hire more people?" Rep. Davis believes most businesses over the $500,000 threshold would choose the option of paying a 6 percent surtax rather than provide insurance anyway because they will know the cost for sure rather than having a variable where it could be more or less. "Here's the third thing I don't like, this hasn't been thought through enough," he said. He said health care legislation needs to preserve maximum choice for consumers. Right now the public option in the legislation mimics some of the problems in the current financing of the system, Rep. Davis contended, including the use of Medicare reimbursement rates as the baseline of the public option. "Here's the problem, Medicare reimbursement rates are uneven even within states," Rep. Davis said. He said doctors in different parts of the state are reimbursed differently. Rep. Davis said his ideas for the health care reform include: (1) Requiring that individuals should have to get health insurance similar to how drivers are required to get car insurance. Those who cannot afford the insurance would be eligible for a subsidy; (2) giving businesses a 70% credit for the costs of providing health insurance; and (3) telling the insurance companies they cannot discriminate against people because of a pre-existing condition. Source
 
bank Top
So admittedly this is going to take some getting used to. Being 5 minutes from work meant that I could wake up at 6:45 and have plenty of time to be ready and at work by 8:30 in the winter, and usually earlier in the summer. Well, throw in a 30-50 minute commute plus a few extra minutes for traffic and unless I drop my morning web comic session, I'm going to be waking up at 5 AM in the winter. Murgle. I'm a night owl; I do not do mornings all that well. Now, that said, there ARE some places in Bath I'm finding through Craiglist -- not a lot, and few that are truly ideal. It's hard finding 1 BR apartments, and while the rent is reasonable on the 2 BRs, they're still more than what I'm paying now for a 1 BR *and* in all honesty... I don't know if I really need a 2nd bedroom... I'm not really eager to try to find a roommate, and since my entertainment center and PC are pretty much intimately tied together, it's not like I need an office or something. There is one that I looked at that rather impressed me -- the price is lower than what I'm paying for rent here (by over $100), water and heat are included, it's a 2 BR (admittedly they're listed as "small" bedrooms), but it's got a small loft area and skylights. And it's so close to the bank that I'd probably just walk -- I think it's even closer than I am to ex-work right now. It's typical New England downtown, minus the town commons, so lots of small, local shops. And it's a 4th floor apartment. The thought of lugging everything up all those stairs to move it in is not pleasant. Nor is the thought of doing the same with my bike, or with groceries. Yeah, I'm lazy, but I've had a ground floor apartment for 3 years now and I kinda like it. (Well, I *would* appreciate the ability to have my blinds open and still have some privacy, admittedly.) And there's no pictures of what the kitchen is like (eg, is there a dishwasher, etc.) And nothing about washer/dryer. (Though amusingly, there IS a dry cleaners across the way.) And as for what my parents think I should do... yeah, a townhouse would be nice, but good luck finding a 1 BR townhouse. They just don't exist. I certainly don't need a 3 BR condo! Then again, searching for apartments in a town called "Bath" on the Internet isn't very easy... Complicating matters: The Brunswick Naval Air Station is being shut down, so housing is likely becoming quickly vacant there, which is good... but if I don't want to sit in one lane traffic all day, I need something towards the east end of town, east of Maine Street. I'd also hate to move there on the basis of easy access to shopping, and have it all leave town. Source
 
Notes for next year's OGC site Top
1) The hotel does not have an ATM; you will need to bring in money from outside or find an ATM outside of the building. Best bets are at the area supermarkets. There is a Citizen's in the plaza just down the road from the hotel, and a Citizen's and of America further out on 101-A West. 2) The hotel does not serve lunches, only breakfast and dinner. There is a small convenience-type store on the premesis, but this does not stock a lot of food and is a tad bit expensive. There are several eateries in the area, including an Applebee's, Boston Market, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Ruby Tuesday, Quiznos, Subway, and Dunkin' Donuts, all within 5 miles of the hotel. (Chili's, Wendy's, Texas Roadhouse, Little Caesar's Pizza, a Japanese steakhouse, McDonald's, and another Pizza Hut and Dunkin' Donuts can be found further out on 101-A West.) 3) OGC can be fun for family members who aren't into gaming too! It's just an hour's drive from Boston, the White Mountains, Canobie Lake Park, and Mount Monadnock. Pheasant Lane Mall is a short drive from the hotel and is a major center to enjoy tax-free shopping at. Source
 
REAL update Top
Thursday Major rain forecast for Friday, so I loaded the car up late in the day. Friday Woke up in that sort of groggy mood, where I just wanted to roll over and sleep another hour. Finally got everything left ready to go, all dressed up, and of course, it's pouring outside. Driving down to Portsmouth was a lovely knuckle-whitening drive because of the heavy rain and preponderance of trucks on the road. Still, made it down there on time (even a wee bit early), only to realize I hadn't printed the e-mail with my contact's name. Found him OK though. Interview went okay -- not stellar, not bad though, but it was pretty clear that this avenue wasn't likely going to turn up with a full time job, just endless temp work. (In fact, I'm waiting for a callback from him on a part time job that'd require a 1.5 hour commute into MA.) So that lasted about a half hour, and the trip to Manchester had me pulling in around 11 in the morning. I skipped the big & tall store stop I planned, because I remembered just how expensive the clothes were there, and I can always hold out with what I have until I have a paycheck in. Bought myself a new keyboard/mouse combo at Best Buy. Debated the 1TB drive for $99, but being more expensive and that I can always hold out on this machine as long as I can (there's a decisive difference between "slow as molasses" and "not working"), it was a no brainer. Showed up at the hotel around noon-ish, and there wasn't anything really left to do, so I was more or less stuck hanging out until the con actually started. Had a good time this year -- this may very well be the year I've erased the stigma from my "cursed" BattleTech boxed set dice. Had some problems with the game I ran, not in technology (that worked great), but in enforcing GM fiat. (There was a reason I said at the very beginning of the game, at least twice, that "If there's a tree in it, it's considered light woods" -- to head off the very problems later encountered there.) Unfortunately, for the last several days, I've had this annoying dry cough that comes and goes, and the convention more or less made it worse. That was balanced out by having some of the best food I've had in over 2 months. Several people I know there have my resume now and have promised to keep an eye out for work down there, so that's a good reassurance to have. The after-party went well, aside from no AC due to a leaking AC unit, but that was taken in stride. Also have some great ideas for next year's convention website, so I'll start working on those pretty soon. That, plus the usual post-con hanging out, had me hitting the sack a little after 4 AM, so I opted to delay checkout until after 9AM. Arrived back in Portland around noon -- traffic was pretty heavy driving up the turnpike, so I was a bit delayed. Unloaded the car, since it wasn't raining and they were calling for storms later, posted the quick update, and took off for the interview up north. As I said yesterday, that went well, but for the commute worry. It's easily an hour's commute, and going further north means that I'm doubtlessly going to have issues with winter weather. It was made pretty clear during the interview that they're quite tolerant of sickness and short-notice absences, provided you can at least come in and take care of the absolutely critical stuff. (This job is at a bank , after all.) I don't mind that, but for the winter commute. The other issues with commute are gas-related (half a tank every day adds up) and traffic-oriented -- the route you have to take goes from divided highway to middle-of-town highway to narrow two-way road to middle-of-town highway to annoying-one-way-street town roads. It's the kind of commute you HAVE to have your mind on or else you'll crash into someone or get lost. Plus that's commute time added to waking time... I'd have to leave here no later than 7AM to be there by 8, which for me means waking up at 5:30 in the morning, maybe 6AM if I don't do any of my usual morning wake-up things... Given how late BT05 and most of my favorite TV shows run, we're talking some nights where I'd be lucky to get 4-5 hours of sleep --- and that's not counting any insomnia sleep loss. The closer I am, the more sleep I can get and the more awake I'll be. I'm going to keep moving on this job, and if I get offered it, I'll accept it -- I'd be a complete idiot to NOT accept it in this economy. I'd call off the temp work people, but I'd still probably keep an eye out for jobs back in NH, just in case... but from what I've seen, the job market there flat-lined this week. Got home around 3:30/4-ish. Decompressed for about a half hour, contemplating going out to eat (I spent well under my expected budget while at the hotel for food). Gave up, and as I was fighting post-nasal drip and other Con AIDS symptoms, plus some sleep deprivation, I decided to hit the sack. Which, aside from a quick up at 10PM to turn off the lights and AC, I more or less was asleep until about an hour ago. Still sick, but nowhere as bad as I was after last year's convention. Have to do some laundry today, plus get the TV hooked back up. Also need to do a bank run -- for some reason, my unemployment checks came in NOT in direct deposit form but in printed check form. Also need to do some major vacuuming, plus unpack the last of my luggage. Probably not going to do much today though -- last thing I need to do is aggravate the sinuses any further. Definitely avoiding EVE until tomorrow. On the upside, I think I've made up my missed sleep AND hopefully have my body clock reset for my old wake-up time. We'll see if forcing that schedule helps. And food. I left NH w/o having breakfast, and was so zonked I didn't have dinner, so I'm running off yesterday's lunch at best. Source
 

CREATE MORE ALERTS:

Auctions - Find out when new auctions are posted

Horoscopes - Receive your daily horoscope

Music - Get the newest Album Releases, Playlists and more

News - Only the news you want, delivered!

Stocks - Stay connected to the market with price quotes and more

Weather - Get today's weather conditions




You received this email because you subscribed to Yahoo! Alerts. Use this link to unsubscribe from this alert. To change your communications preferences for other Yahoo! business lines, please visit your Marketing Preferences. To learn more about Yahoo!'s use of personal information, including the use of web beacons in HTML-based email, please read our Privacy Policy. Yahoo! is located at 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089.

0 коммент.